We hope you will find answers here to your questions about the Northern Great Lakes Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Our site is intended to offer information, timely news, inspiring words and an opportunity to learn about the ministries of this synod and the ELCA.
The Rev. Katherine A. Finegan was elected May 23, 2017 to serve a six-year term as bishop of the Northern Great Lakes Synod, ELCA. The election was held during the Synod Assembly which took place at Messiah Lutheran Church and Northern Michigan University in Marquette, Michigan on May 21-23. Pastor Finegan was elected on the fifth and final ballot.
Pastor Finegan has served as Assistant to the Bishop in the NGLS since February, 2012. Previously she served as pastor of Bethany Lutheran Church in Republic, Michigan from 2002-2012, and as Youth Minister at Hope Lutheran Church in St. Paul, Minnesota from 1988-2000.
The Bishop earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from Valparaiso University in Valparaiso, Indiana in 1987. She received her Master of Divinity from Luther Seminary in St. Paul, Minnesota in 2002.
Help Michigan’s Keweenaw Peninsula
Help Michigan’s Keweenaw Peninsula
On Sunday June 17, Michigan’s Keweenaw Peninsula was devastated by 6 – 8 inches of rain in a short amount of time, causing at least 60 sinkholes, numerous washed out roads, and one home that collapsed on a twelve year old boy. Hundreds of businesses and homes are affected in Houghton and the surrounding area. Residents will need immediate supplies for survival and long-term recovery. All funds collected will be used for direct support of affected residents. To donate please go to: https://www.lsswis.org/Keweenaw
Facebook link to the Good Shepherd in Houghton where you can get more information about volunteering and items needed to help. Please click here
From Pastor Bucky Beach:
(updated June 22, 2018)
Thank you to all who have responded with prayers and offers of other kinds of help. Here is what you can do for days and weeks to come:
- MANY VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED!!! There IS a job for you. Cooking, serving and putting together lunches and delivering them to the field workers and crews is still our biggest need. IF you have checked in once at the Volunteer Resource Center, you can call St. Ignatius (Annette) at 906-369-6642 or Salvation Army at (906-281-4968 (Leonita). If you have NOT checked in yet at the Volunteer Resource Center, PLEASE do this. There are many safety, financial and logistic reasons for this, so PLEASE DO NOT self-deploy. It will help to have this all documented and organized through the Volunteer Resource Center.
- Field workers is biggest need #2. If you can wield a shovel or rake, there is still a lot of work at different sites, mostly homes and neighborhoods. Call the volunteer help line at 906-233-6621.
- For ANY other questions about resources or needs you may have, call 211.
- ALL donations of items need to be cleared through the Houghton City Center. Call 482-1700. Supplies will be run through the Dee Stadium.
- Financial donations: Various agencies are able to help; call the Keweenaw Community Foundation (906-482-9673) or Portage Health Foundation (906-523-5920). Or Lutheran Social Services of Wisconsin and Upper Michigan / Lutheran Disaster Response can take online donations at https://www.lsswis.org/Keweenaw
- Donations of household items can go through Love, Inc. Call 906-201-4513.
- Clothing items can go to St. Vincent de Paul in Hancock, Good Will in Houghton or the Angel Mission in Calumet. Please do NOT bring household or clothing items to the Dee Stadium.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Pastor Bucky Beach, Good Shepherd Lutheran Church / Lutheran Campus Ministry